Is Marijuana Now Legal in Maryland? Mostly “Yes,” But Sometimes “No”
Is Marijuana Now Legal in Maryland? Mostly “Yes,” But Sometimes “No” – Read Below About the Big Changes to Maryland’s Marijuana Laws
As you may have heard, there were BIG changes to Maryland’s marijuana laws that recently went into effect. Beginning on July 1, 2023, individuals at least age 21 may legally use and possess the personal use amount of cannabis. To help you sort out what the new cannabis law means, here’s a quick breakdown:
What is now legal?
Anything that constitutes “personal use” amount. This is defined as:
- Possessing up to 1.5 ounces cannabis
- Possessing up to 12 grams concentrated cannabis
- Possessing cannabis products containing up to 750 mg strength delta-9-THC
- Possessing up to 2 cannabis plants
Can an officer still issue me a civil citation for having marijuana?
Yes, if the amount of cannabis that a person has falls within the parameters below:
- Possessing more than 1.5 ounces, but less than 2.5 ounces cannabis
- Possessing more than 12 grams, but less than 20 grams concentrated cannabis
- Possessing cannabis products containing more than 750 mg, but less than 1250 strength delta-9-THC
- Penalty: A fine up to $250
Is cannabis possession still a crime (misdemeanor)? Yes, sometimes.
If someone is found to possess more than the civil use amount of cannabis or cannabis products this still qualifies as a criminal misdemeanor.
If you are being charged with a drug-related offense, call us today at 410-268-5515 for a free consultation.
Phone: 410.268.5515 Toll Free: 888.268.5515